WEST POINT, N.Y. - Strong singles play up and down the lineup spelled victory for the Army women's tennis team on Saturday afternoon as the Black Knights blanked visiting Colgate, 7-0, at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The victory marked Army's 41st consecutive Patriot League regular season win and extended the team's current win streak to six.
Army (17-6, 4-0 Patriot League) recovered from a sluggish start in doubles play to win all six singles matches in straight sets. Colgate (5-5, 0-1) opened the Patriot League season with a solid doubles effort, pushing Army in both the second and third flights.
Junior Anne Houghton and senior co-captain Kristin Beehler remained perfect on the weekend, running away with an 8-1 victory in the top flight. Meanwhile, freshman Erin Colton and junior Annie Hang outlasted Colgate's Samantha Inacker and Stephanie Bender in an 8-7 (1) tiebreaker. Juniors Michael Tollerton and Robie Verano picked up their team-high 18th doubles win of the year with an 8-5 win at No. 3.
Army entered singles play on a mission and all six players delivered. Houghton won her first set at No. 1 by a 6-4 score and put the match away with a dominating 6-0 effort in the second to defeat Colgate's Elise DeRose, who was a first team All-Patriot League pick a year ago. Houghton is the two-time defending Patriot League Player of the Year.
Beehler, who ascended into the No. 2 spot this weekend after playing the majority of the spring at No. 3, picked up a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Inacker. Beehler has now won five-straight matches. Head coach Paul Peck called upon junior Jessica Ahn to face Colgate's Cameron Williams in the third flight. Ahn responded with a 6-1, 6-2 win in her first singles bout since March 7.
Hang won her fourth in a row and improved to 11-3 this spring with a 6-0, 6-4 triumph over Stephanie Brown at No. 4. Tollerton and Verano both blanked their respective opponents in the fifth and sixth flights, respectively. Tollerton's 6-0, 6-0 win stretched her singles win streak to eight matches.
The Black Knights take to the road for a non-conference, mid-week match at Syracuse on Wednesday, March 31, at noon. Army downed the Orange last spring by a 5-2 score.
Army - 7
Colgate - 0
1. Anne Houghton/Kristin Beehler (A) def. Elise DeRose/Cameron Williams (C), 8-1
2. Erin Colton/Annie Hang (A) def. Samantha Inacker/Stephanie Bender (C), 8-7 (1)
3. Michael Tollerton/Robie Verano (A) def. Stephanie Brown/Asia Lamar (C), 8-5
1. Anne Houghton (A) def. Elise DeRose (C), 6-4, 6-0
2. Kristin Beehler (A) def. Samantha Inacker (C), 6-1, 6-3
3. Jessica Ahn (A) def. Cameron Williams (C), 6-1, 6-2
4. Annie Hang (A) def. Stephanie Brown (C), 6-0, 6-4
5. Michael Tollerton (A) def. Merideth Rock (C), 6-0, 6-0
6. Robie Verano (A) def. Asia Lamar (C), 6-0, 6-0