WEST POINT, N.Y. - Senior captain Kristin Beehler and junior Anne Houghton were both a part of three victories on the afternoon as the Army women's tennis team posted a pair of sweeps against Connecticut and Fordham during a perfect Valentine's Day at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The Black Knights dropped just one match all day long while improving to 4-3 on the season.
Beehler won twice in singles and teamed with Houghton for a doubles victory over UConn (2-4), while Houghton won twice in doubles and collected a No. 1 singles victory against the Huskies as well.
Houghton and Beehler escaped UConn's Kelley LoRusso and Katie Marshall in a thrilling 9-8 (5) triumph in the top doubles spot. The Black Knights continued to roll in the other two doubles matches, as No. 2 junior Annie Hang and freshman Erin Colton improved to 4-1 on the season and juniors Michael Tollerton and Robie Verano won for the third-straight match at No. 3.
Houghton made quick work of LoRusso in singles action, cruising to a 6-2, 6-1 win in the top flight. Beehler also won in straight sets (7-5, 6-1) over Emily Herb, as did Tollerton over Alexa Gregory (6-2, 6-4) at No. 4.
Colton rebounded from a 7-5 loss in her first set against Alli Campitiello to win a 5-7, 6-0, 6-2 decision at No. 2. The fourth and sixth flights played by a similar script as well. Both Hang (No. 4) and Verano (No. 6) lost their first sets before rallying to down their respective opponents in decisive fashion.
Army played back-to-back matches, taking on a winless Fordham (0-6) club immediately following their win over UConn. The Black Knights showed no sign of fatigue, dominating all three doubles matches while five of their six singles wins came by way of straight sets.
Houghton teamed with classmate Jessica Ahn for the first time this spring at No. 1 doubles. The pair defeated Sarah Tremaine and Martina Featherson of Fordham by an 8-2 score. Fordham’s lone win on the day came at No. 2 doubles, while junior Maria Casaletto and freshman Kari Pope posted an 8-1 win over Jenny Mullen and Brittany Russell in the third flight.
Beehler stepped in to notch her third victory of the day, handling Tremaine (6-2, 7-5) in the top singles flight. Hang (2nd; 6-1, 6-0), Mendoza (3rd; 6-2, 6-3), Hansen (5th; 6-1, 6-0) and freshman Larraine Saavedra (6th; 6-3, 6-2) recorded straight-set victories in that order. Senior captain Paige Ford ground out a 6-2, 4-6, 10-3 win over Holt at No. 4 to cap the Black Knights' afternoon.
Army hosts a trio of matches next weekend, beginning with a 3 p.m. showdown against visiting Buffalo on Friday, Feb. 19. The Black Knights will then host Fairleigh Dickinson (10 a.m.) and Bryant (3 p.m.) on Saturday, Feb. 20. All matches will take place at the state-of-the-art Lichtenberg Tennis Center.
Army - 7
Connecticut - 0
1. Anne Houghton/Kristin Beehler (A) def. Kelley LoRusso/Katie Moritz (C), 9-8 (5)
2. Annie Hang/Erin Colton (A) def. Abby McKeon/Alli Campitiello (C), 8-5
3. Michael Tollerton/Robie Verano (A) def. Emily Herb/Lauren Wilmarth (C), 8-1
1. Anne Houghton (A) def. Kelley LoRusso (C), 6-2, 6-1
2. Erin Colton (A) def. Alli Campitiello (C), 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
3. Kristin Beehler (A) def. Emily Herb (C), 7-5, 6-1
4. Annie Hang (A) def. Lauren Wilmarth (C), 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
5. Michael Tollerton (A) def. Alexa Gregory (C), 6-2, 6-4
6. Robie Verano (A) def. Abby McKeon (C), 1-6, 61, 6-4
Army - 7
Fordham - 0
1. Anne Houghton/Jessica Ahn (A) def. Sarah Tremaine/Marina Featherston (F), 8-2
2. Taylor Holt/Bethany Boyle (F) def. Audrey Hansen/Jurelle Mendoza (A), 8-1
3. Maria Casaletto/Kari Pope (A) def. Jenny Mullen/Brittany Russell (F), 8-1
1. Kristin Beehler (A) def. Sarah Tremaine (F), 6-2, 7-5
2. Annie Hang (A) def. Martina Featherston (F), 6-1, 6-0
3. Jurelle Mendoza (A) def. Bethany Boyle (F), 6-2, 6-3
4. Paige Ford (A) def. Taylor Holt (F), 6-2, 4-6, 10-3
5. Audrey Hansen (A) def. Jenny Mullen (F), 6-1, 6-0
6. Larraine Saavedra (A) def. Liz Stall (F), 6-3, 6-2