April 18, 2014
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The second-seeded Army women's tennis team defeated No. 7 Colgate, 4-0, in the Patriot League Tournament Quarterfinals on Friday at Bucknell's Varsity Tennis Courts. Friday's win marked the sixth consecutive year the Black Knights have knocked off the Raiders in the conference tournament. Army improves to 22-3, while Colgate finishes the year 6-13.
Army clinched the doubles point, winning each of the two matches that were played through. Senior Jamila Paul and sophomore Carolyn Pitman improved to a team-best 21-0 on the season with an 8-1 win over Colgate's Kaelin Brittin and Jennifer Ho at No. 2 before senior Della Taylor and junior Elle Taylor collected an 8-2 victory over Colgate's Alex Petrini and Kelsey Shea at the top position.
With a 1-0 lead heading into singles play, the Black Knights won the first three singles matches to clinch the win and advance to the conference semifinals. Elle Taylor blanked Brittin, 6-0, 6-0, in the fourth spot, while Della Taylor cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 victory at the third flight. Freshman Nancy Porter clinched the match for Army after topping Colgate's Katie Grant, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 5.
Army will face No. 3 Navy in tomorrow's Patriot League Semifinal match that will get underway at 2 p.m. The Black Knights are 5-0 all-time against the Midshipmen, including a 4-3 win in Annapolis earlier this year on April 5. Army and Navy have met in each of the last three conference title matches, with the Black Knights winning all three. Top-seeded Boston University and No. 4 Bucknell will go head-to-head in the other semifinal match.
No. 2 Army, No. 7 Colgate
1. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A) def. Kelsey Shea/Alex Petrini (C) 8-2
2. Jamila Paul/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Jennifer Ho/Kaelin Brittin (C) 8-1
3. Nancy Porter/Maya Parker (A) led Katie Grant/Kirstie Woodbury (C) 7-2 (DNF)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3 (DNF)
1. Jamila Paul (A) led Kelsey Shea (C) 6-4, 3-2 (DNF)
2. Carolyn Pitman (A) led Jennifer Ho (C) 6-1, 5-2 (DNF)
3. Della Taylor (A) def. Alex Petrini (C) 6-1, 6-3
4. Elle Taylor (A) def. Kaelin Brittin (C) 6-0, 6-0
5. Nancy Porter (A) def. Katie Grant (C) 6-2, 6-2
6. Allyson Hayley (A) led Kirstie Woodbury (C) 6-4, 3-4 (DNF)
Order of finish: 4, 3, 5, 2 (DNF), 1 (DNF), 6 (DNF)
2014 Patriot League Women's Tennis Tournament
Thursday, April 17 - First Round
Lafayette 4, Holy Cross 0
Friday, April 18 - Quarterfinals
Boston University 4, Lafayette 0
Bucknell 4, Lehigh 0
Army 4, Colgate 0
Navy 4, Loyola 0
Saturday, April 19 - Semifinals
No. 1 Boston University vs. No. 4 Bucknell, 11 a.m.
No. 2 Army vs. No. 3 Navy, 2 p.m.
Sunday, April 20 - Championship
Semifinal winners, noon