March 22, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - In its final tune-up before three Patriot League matches over the next two days, the Army women's tennis team extended its win streak to five with a 5-2 victory over visiting Rhode Island on Friday evening at Lichtenberg Tennis Center.
The Black Knights had been idle for two weeks, but showed little signs of rust, winning four singles points in straight sets and collecting the doubles point to open the day. Under the direction of head coach Paul Peck, Army picked up its second win over URI in as many meetings. The last time these teams met was in 2010. Rhode Island dropped to 0-6 on the season, while the Black Knights improved to 10-3.
One of Army's most seasoned doubles teams in senior Erin Colton and junior Jamila Paul, improved to 13-7 with an 8-4 win at second doubles. Senior Larraine Saavedra and junior Carly Riney helped secure the doubles point with an 8-2 win in the third flight.
In singles action, Army handled the Rams in four straight-set wins. Sisters Elle and Della Taylor picked up their eighth singles wins of the season at No. 2 and No. 5 singles, respectively. Freshman Gabriella Spindler extended her singles win streak to four matches with a 6-4, 6-1 win in the fourth flight. Spindler leads Army in wins this season, sitting on an 18-6 record heading into the rest of the weekend. Rounding out the Black Knights' win was freshman Haley O'Connor at No. 6. The rookie blanked Lauren Benoit of URI and won her third-straight match.
The Black Knights, who have won 54 Patriot League regular-season matches in a row, open Patriot League play against Holy Cross and Lafayette late Saturday afternoon. The matches will be played simultaneously at 4 p.m. Army welcomes Lehigh on Sunday at 2 p.m. to round out the weekend.
Army – 5
Rhode Island – 2
- Galina Chernykh/Kathleen Uy (URI) def. Elle Taylor/Della Taylor (A), 8-4
- Erin Colton/Jamila Paul (A) def. Nithila Asokaraj/Karolina Wojciak (URI), 8-4
- Larraine Saavedra/Carly Riney (A) def. Elizaveta Sadovnikova/Kristin Bertsch (URI), 8-2
- Chernykh (URI) def. Eva Sung (A), 6-1, 6-4
- E. Taylor (A) def. Uy (URI), 6-4, 6-2
- Asokaraj (URI) def. Margaret Iliev (A), 7-5, 6-4
- Gabriella Spindler (A) def. Wojciak (URI), 6-4, 6-1
- D. Taylor (A) def. Sadovnikova (URI), 6-2, 6-1
- Haley O’Connor (A) def. Lauren Benoit (URI), 6-0, 6-0