Feb. 2, 2013
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army women's tennis team came out of its first weekend of dual match play with a 3-0 record after downing Seton Hall, 5-2, on Saturday afternoon at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The victory comes on the heels of wins over Binghamton (6-1) and Sacred Heart (4-3) on Friday.
Coming off a challenging Friday in which the team outlasted Sacred Heart in nearly four hours, Army and Seton Hall battled for well over three hours on Saturday. Three of six singles matches went to three sets, including a hard-fought victory for sophomore Elle Taylor in the sixth flight.
Seton Hall's players retired in second and third singles, while collecting wins in the first and fourth flights. Senior co-captain Erin Colton put up a fight against the Pirates' ace in Chloe Sher. She fell 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 to Seton Hall's first All-BIG EAST team honoree in program history.
Colton teamed with junior Jamila Paul to pick up an 8-3 win in doubles, while rookies Gabriella Spindler and Eva Sung helped clinch the doubles point with an 8-6 win in the third slot.
The Black Knights look to stay perfect as the team hosts Stony Brook, Connecticut and Fordham at Lichtenberg Tennis Center next weekend.
Army – 5
Seton Hall – 2
- Chloe Sher/Rocio Portela (S) def. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A), 8-3
- Erin Colton/Jamila Paul (A) def. Julia Keenan/Madison Shoemaker (S), 8-3
- Eva Sung/Gabriella Spindler (A) def. Anna Guryanova/Alex Landert (S), 8-6
- Sher (S) def. Colton (A), 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
- Paul (A) def. Portela (S), 6-1 (ret.)
- Sung (A) def. Keenan (S), 6-2, 5-0 (ret.)
- Landert (S) def. D. Taylor (A), 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Spindler (A) def. Karina Cordero (S), 6-2, 6-4
- E. Taylor (A) def. Shoemaker (S), 6-3, 1-6, 6-2