Feb. 12, 2014
Holy Cross 92, Army 85
WEST POINT, N.Y. - Sophomore Kelsey Minato scored an Academy-record 49 points during the Army women's basketball team's 92-85 Patriot League loss to Holy Cross on Wednesday evening at Christl Arena. With the setback, the Black Knights fall to 17-6 overall and 9-3 in the conference, while the Crusaders improve to 15-9 and 7-6.
Minato set 18 scoring records while matching one other on Wednesday, including three NCAA records, eight Patriot League marks, four Army women's basketball standards, and four Christl Arena records, counting games on both the men's and women's side.
Minato's 49 points were the most by an Army women's player in a single game, as she broke the previous record of 39 set by Laurie Goetz (USMA '87) in 1986-87. Her scoring output was also the second-highest by a Division I women's player so far in 2013-14 (Joanna Harden, Troy - 52).
The sophomore was 26-of-26 from the free-throw line, breaking her own single-game record for both free-throws made (15) and free-throws attempted (18). Minato's 26 free-throws made and 26 consecutive foul shots are both the most in Division I women's basketball history.
The Huntington Beach, Calif., native set Christl Arena records in points, free-throws made and free-throws attempted. The previous Christl Arena single-game scoring record was established by Kevin Houston on Dec. 10, 1986, after he scored 46 against Manhattanville. The sophomore's 26 free-throws made and attempted broke the former marks set by Keene State's Darrell Long (17 made) and Army's David Ardayfio (19 attempted).
Minato also added six rebounds and four steals, while senior Jen Hazlett notched 15 points and seven boards. Junior Olivia Schretzman chipped in a team-high eight rebounds while finishing with four points, and sophomore Allie Setter contributed a career-best six points off the bench.
Sophomore Raquel Scott led Holy Cross with 27 points and 11 rebounds, while senior Alex Smith netted 23 points. Sophomore Kate Gillespie tallied 16 points on 5-of-6 three-point shooting, and classmate Molly Hourigan came close to a triple-double with nine points, 10 rebounds and eight blocks. Senior Brisje Malone and junior Emily Parker each registered seven points.
Holy Cross opened up an 8-6 lead in the game's first 3:40 before using a 7-3 run to extend its lead to six with 11:23 remaining in the first half. Army scored five of the game's next seven points over the next 1:14 to cut the advantage to three, but the Crusaders outscored the Black Knights 21-6 during a 7:20 span to move out to an 18-point lead. Holy Cross went 8-for-13 from the field during the run, while holding Army to a 0-of-7 showing. The hosts responded with a 10-5 run in the frame's final 2:28, but entered the break trailing by 13 points, their largest halftime deficit of the season.
Army attempted to close the 13-point gap early in a second stanza, but couldn't find success from the field, despite staying in the game by virtue of its free-throw shooting. Hazlett and Minato contributed to an 8-of-8 free-throw performance in the opening 4:48 of the second half, but the Black Knights managed just 1-of-6 shooting during that span, with their only bucket coming from freshman Danielle Failor at the 16:58 mark.
Failor's lay-in cut the Holy Cross lead to 10, but the advantage quickly ballooned back to 17 after back-to-back threes by Smith that came with 16:10 and 15:46 remaining, respectively. Army received points from four players during the next 5:14, as it cut the deficit to eight before Gillespie sunk one of her five three-pointers to put the Crusaders back up by double figures.
Minato hit a three-pointer at the 9:58 mark to spark a 15-6 run that closed the gap to two, at 74-72, with 6:51 to play. Minato accounted for 10 of Army's 15 points in the stretch, while Hazlett and Setter contributed three points and two points, respectively. The Crusaders scored the next six points in just 50 seconds to increase their advantage to eight before the Black Knights narrowed it to five points at the 3:44 mark. Minato netted the final six points for the hosts, but Army could only bring the margin as close as five in the remaining minutes.
Army wraps up its five-game homestand when it hosts Bucknell on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 1 p.m. The Black Knights will celebrate National Girls and Women in Sports Day during their Pink Zone game versus the Bison.
NOTES: Army falls to 21-34 all-time versus Holy Cross ... the Black Knights suffered their first home defeat of the season, ending a streak of 15 games, including 12 this season ... Kelsey Minato set 14 total records, including points in a single game (49) and free-throws in a single game (26) ... Minato extends her Patriot League-best double-digit scoring to 39 contests ... Army's 37 free-throws are the most this season ... Army shot 90.2 percent (37-of-41) from the free throw line, marking its second-best showing of the year (92.9 percent vs. Penn, 12/11/13)
RECORDS SET BY Kelsey Minato:
Scoring - 49
• Army single-game record - previous 39 held by Laurie Goetz vs. Brooklyn (1986-97)
• Army Christl Arena (men and women) - previous 46 by Kevin Houston vs. Manhattanville (12/10/86)
• Patriot League single-game record - previous 44 by Molly Creamer (Bucknell) vs. Lafayette (2/21/03)
• Patriot League game record (men and women) - previous 46 by Rob Feaster (Holy Cross) vs. Navy in 1994
Free Throws Made - 26
• Army single-game record - previous was hers - 15 vs. Boston University (1/29/14)
• Army Christl Arena (men and women) - previous was 17 held by Darrell Long (Keene St.) vs. Army on 2/16/87
• Patriot League single-game record - previous was 19 by two players - Erica Hayes (Navy) vs. Morgan State on 1/18/00 and Shelby Romine (Bucknell) vs. Colgate on 1/22/11
• Patriot League game record as well - (men or women) (same info as previous line for Romine only)
• NCAA record - previous was 23 held by Shaunda Greene (Washington) vs. Northern Illinois on 11/30/91, Shay Doron (Maryland) vs. Coppin State on 11/21/03
Free Throw Attempts - 26
• Army single-game record - previous was hers - 18 vs. Boston University (1/29/14)
• Army Christl Arena (men and women) - previous was 19 by David Ardayfio (Army) vs. Navy on 1/25/92
• Patriot League single-game record - previous was 22 by Molly Creamer (Bucknell) vs. Navy on 3/7/2003 and Erica Hayes (Navy) vs. Morgan State on 1/18/00
• Patriot League game record as well - (men or women) (same info as previous line for Creamer only)
Consecutive Free Throws Made - 26
• Army women's record
• Army Christl Arena (men and women) single-game record
• 26 in a game is a men's and women's Patriot League single-game record and a Patriot League game record
• Patriot League record is 39 made by Sarah Ellis (Lehigh) in 2005-06
• NCAA single-game record - previous was 22 held by Shanika Freeman (Jacksonville State) vs. Florida Atlantic on 2/6/03
Free-Throw Percentage (minimum 18 made) - 100 percent (13 players tied)
• NCAA single-game record - previous best perfect game was 22-of-22 by Shanika Freeman (Jacksonville State) vs. Florida Atlantic (2/6/03)