April 6, 2014
BALTIMORE, Md. - The Army men's tennis squad posted a 7-0 victory over Loyola in a Patriot League match on Sunday afternoon at Butler Courts. The Black Knights, who earned their seventh consecutive victory, improve to 15-4 overall and 5-0 in the conference, while the Greyhounds slip to 6-4 and 1-1.
Army won all nine matches, including all three of the doubles competitions to take the doubles point. Sophomore Harrison McCormick and freshman Grant Riechmann (No. 1) and sophomore Austin McCasin and freshman Kyle Barnes (No. 2) collected wins of 8-2 and 8-4, respectively, while sophomores Caison Best and Ben Davies picked up an 8-7 (6) victory at No. 3.
Riechmann took a 6-3, 7-6 (3) decision at the top singles spot, while McCormick followed suit, winning 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2. Best and McCasin posted straight-set wins from the third and fourth singles positions, respectively, while Barnes and Davies played a little longer into their respective matches. Barnes won 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 5 slot, and Davies managed a 7-5, 7-6 (3) win in a pair of closely contested sets.
Army improves to 1-0 all-time versus Loyola after meeting the Patriot League newcomer for the first time.
The Black Knights return to the court on Saturday, April 12 when they head to Navy for the annual "Star" Match. The service academy rivals will meet at 1 p.m.
Army 7, Loyola 0
1. Harrison McCormick/Grant Riechmann (A) def. Harrison Kunkel/Connor Lisco (L) 8-2
2. Austin McCasin/Kyle Barnes (A) def. Greg Olesnycky/Jordan Kuchta (L) 8-4
3. Caison Best/Ben Davies (A) def. Connor Pietrak/Alex Castro (L) 8-7 (6)
1. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Connor Pietrak (L) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
2. Harrison McCormick (A) def. Harrison Kunkel (L) 6-2, 6-3
3. Caison Best (A) def. Connor Lisco (L) 6-1, 6-3
4. Austin McCasin (A) def. Greg Olesnycky (L) 6-1, 6-4
5. Kyle Barnes (A) def. Jordan Kuchta (L) 7-5, 6-4
6. Ben Davies (A) def. Alex Castro (L) 7-5, 7-6 (3)