March 30, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army men's tennis squad picked up its fifth win in a row, defeating Fairfield, 6-1, in a nonconference match on Sunday afternoon at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The Black Knights improve to 13-4 after the win, while the Stags drop to 8-4.
"I'm happy with how we played," said Army head coach Jim Poling. "Fairfield is a good team. If we didn't play as well as we did, it could have been a different result."
Army got off to a quick start, sweeping all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Sophomore Harrison McCormick and freshman Grant Riechmann teamed up for an 8-5 victory at the top position, while senior Asika Isoh and junior Alex Van Velzer took care of their counterparts, 10-8. Sophomore Caison Best and freshman Sam Lampman ousted their opponents, 8-6, at No. 3.
The Black Knights increased their advantage to 4-0 after winning each of the opening three singles matches. McCormick (No. 4), Best (No. 5) and Van Velzer (No. 6) all grabbed straight-set victories in their respective matches, with Van Velzer nearly blanking his opponent, 6-1, 6-0.
Riechmann narrowly dropped his opening set at No. 3 during an eventual 7-6, 6-3 loss to Fairfield's Ofir Solomon before Lampman extended Army's lead back to five with a 6-3, 6-3 over George Tioutine in the second singles slot. Isoh finished out the match with a 4-6, 7-6, 10-8 come-from-behind win over Fairfield's Ian Tesmond at the top flight.
The Black Knights will play each of their next four on the road, beginning with a match at Lehigh on Saturday, April 5. The Patriot League contest is scheduled for 11 a.m.
Army 6, Fairfield 1
1. Grant Riechmann/Harrison McCormick (A) def. Ian Tesmond/Cameron Amyot (F) 8-5
2. Asika Isoh/Alex Van Velzer (A) def. George Tioutine/Dennis Zlobinsky (F) 10-8
3. Caison Best/Sam Lampman (A) def. Ofir Solomon/Bjorn Merinder (F) 8-6
1. Asika Isoh (A) def. Ian Tesmond (F) 4-6, 7-6, 10-8
2. Sam Lampman (A) def. George Tioutine (F) 6-3, 6-3
3. Ofir Solomon (F) def. Grant Riechmann (A) 7-6, 6-3
4. Harrison McCormick (A) def. Dennis Zlobinsky (F) 6-2, 6-4
5. Caison Best (A) def. Cameron Amyot (F) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Bjorn Merinder (F) 6-1, 6-0