March 16, 2014
RIVERSIDE, Calif. - Army won eight matches, including all six in singles action, as the Black Knights swept past the University of California at Riverside, 7-0, at the Student Recreation Center Tennis Courts on Sunday afternoon. Army improves to 8-3 with the victory, while the Highlanders drop to 2-17 following the defeat.
The doubles pairings of sophomore Harrison McCormick and freshman Grant Riechmann, and sophomore Austin McCasin and freshman Kyle Barnes tallied 8-2 victories from the first and third doubles positions, respectively, while the No. 2 match, involving senior Asika Isoh and junior Alex Van Velzer, went unfinished.
Isoh gave the visitors a 6-4, 6-3 win at the top singles spot, while freshman Sam Lampman topped his counterpart, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 2 position. McCormick battled back from a first-set loss to earn a 3-6, 6-3, 6-0 victory at No. 3, and sophomore Caison Best and junior Peter Sienko collected straight-set wins from the No. 4 and No. 5 slots, respectively. In the No. 6 singles match, McCasin managed a 1-6, 6-4, 7-5 win over his opponent.
Army wraps up its three-match California road trip on Wednesday, March 19, when the Black Knights take on Loyola Marymount. Wednesday's match is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET.
Army 7, UC Riverside 0
1. Harrison McCormick/Grant Riechmann (A) def. Cooper Bridge/Michael Carella (UCR) 8-2
2. Luis Gastao/Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) vs. Asika Isoh/Alex Van Velzer (A) DNF
3. Austin McCasin/Kyle Barnes (A) def. Sean Robles/Sean Yun (UCR) 8-2
1. Asika Isoh (A) def. Luis Gastao (UCR) 6-4, 6-3
2. Sam Lampman (A) def. Cooper Bridge (UCR) 6-1, 6-2
3. Harrison McCormick (A) def. Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
4. Caison Best (A) def. Sean Yun (UCR) 6-3, 7-6
5. Peter Sienko (A) def. Michael Carella (UCR) 6-4, 6-2
6. Austin McCasin (A) def. Sean Robles (UCR) 1-6, 6-4, 7-5