Feb. 1, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army men's tennis team opened its 2014 dual-match schedule with a 4-3 victory over Monmouth on Saturday afternoon at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The Black Knights improve to 1-0 after the win, while the Hawks fall to 0-3.
Army sophomore Austin McCasin was 2-0 on the day, as he was the only Black Knight to collect wins in both singles and doubles competition. McCasin and freshman Kyle Barnes defeated their counterparts 6-3 at the No. 2 doubles position, while senior Henry Jang-Milsten and junior Peter Sienko followed suit with a 6-3 win of their own at No. 3.
McCasin's singles victory came during a 6-0, 6-2 win over Monmouth freshman Daniil Ginzburg in the No. 6 singles slot. Freshman Grant Riechmann topped junior Freddy Marcinkowski, 6-0, 6-0, in straight sets at the No. 3 position, while junior Alex Van Velzer collected a 6-3, 6-5 win at No. 4.
The Black Knights will return to the court tomorrow when they welcome Niagara to Lichtenberg Tennis Center at 12 p.m.
Army 4, Monmouth 3
1. Victor Pugliese/Przemyslaw Filipek (M) def. Rommel Verano/Sam Lampman (A) 6-3
2. Austin McCasin/Kyle Barnes (A) def. Freddy Marcinkowski/Christian Vieira (M) 6-3
3. Henry Jang-Milsten/Peter Sienko (A) def. Ramy Bekhiet/Luke Adamus (M) 6-3
1. Victor Pugliese (M) def. Sam Lampman (A) 6-5, 6-2
2. Przemyslaw Filipek (M) def. Harrison McCormick (A) 6-4, 6-5
3. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Freddy Marcinkowski (M) 6-0, 6-0
4. Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Luke Adamus (M) 6-3, 6-5
5. Christian Vieira (M) def. Peter Sienko (A) 6-2, 6-2
6. Austin McCasin (A) def. Daniil Ginzburg (M) 6-0, 6-2