Jan. 28, 2012
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Army men’s tennis dropped its season-opening match at Fairfield on Friday night, falling to the Stags 4-3. Doubles proved to be the decisive point in the contest as both teams totaled three singles victories apiece, with Fairfield sweeping the doubles matches to edge the Black Knights.
Fairfield (1-0) jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after sweeping the three doubles contests. Army’s (0-1) sophomore doubles team of Asika Isoh and Henry Jang-Milsten owned the tightest match of the night with an 8-6 loss to Joe Michalisin and Erik Kremheller.
Isoh would exact revenge in his singles match, topping Dennis Zlobinsky, 7-5, 6-4, at the No. 1 spot. The Cambria Heights, N.Y., native improved to 2-0 all-time in singles matches opposite Fairfield after earning a point for the Black Knights in 2011’s season opener. Isoh also bumped his season record to an Army-best 7-5.
Freshman Alex Van Velzer also bounced back from a doubles loss to earn a point for the Black Knights. Competing at No. 3 singles, Van Velzer defeated Michalisin, 6-4, 6-3, to secure a victory in his first collegiate dual match. Van Velzer’s five singles wins (5-8) this year ranks second on the team.
Sophomore Rommel Verano rounded out Army’s point earners with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep of Cameron Amyot at No. 6 singles. The victory halted Verano’s six-match losing skid carrying over from the fall tournament season.
The loss to Fairfield ended Army’s flawless stretch against the Stags as the Black Knights fall to 4-1 all-time against their regional foe.
Next up for Army is a dual at Dartmouth on Feb. 5, as the Black Knights will face the Big Green for the first time since 2010.
1. Michalisin/Kremheller (F) def. Isoh/Jang-Milsten (A), 8-6
2. Zlobinsky/Sauter (F) def. Van Velzer/Van Velzer (A), 8-4
3. Tesmond/Amyot (F) def. Holland/Verano (A), 8-3
1. Asika Isoh (A) def. Dennis Zlobinsky (F), 7-5, 6-4
2. Dan Sauter (F) def. Donald Van Velzer (A), 6-2, 6-2
3. Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Joe Michalisin (F), 6-4, 6-3
4. Ian Tesmond (F) def. Alex Holland (A), 6-2, 6-2
5. George Tioutine (F) def. Henry Jang-Milsten (A), 6-3, 6-1
6. Rommel Verano (A) def. Cameron Amyot (F), 6-0, 6-0