Aug. 28, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. -
The Army men's soccer team begins its 2014 season Friday, Aug. 29, when the Black Knights welcome Fairfield to Clinton Field at 7 p.m.
Date: Aug. 29, 2014
HOW TO FOLLOW
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: West Point, N.Y.
Venue: Clinton Field
Series: Army leads, 8-0-0
Streak: Army, 8 games
Last Meeting: Army 2, Fairfield 0 (10/4/88)
The match will be video streamed live on Knight Vision, the Black Knights’ subscription-based multimedia platform available through Army’s official website (www.goARMYsports.com). Live stats will also be available through GameTracker and in-game Twitter updates will be offered via the men’s soccer team’s official handle (@Army_MSoccer).
• Army went 12-3-3 during the 2013 campaign, marking the program’s most wins since coming away with 13 in 1993.
• Army returns 84 percent of its goal-scoring production from 2013, including sophomores Ethan Spivack and Nick Williams, who led the Black Knights with four goals apiece.
• Senior goalkeeper Winston Boldt, who was recently named to the Hermann Trophy Watch List, is back in net after posting an Academy-record 12 shutouts last season.
• The Black Knight were picked second in the Patriot League Preseason Poll, while Boldt and classmate Sean Mogan, junior Justin Kim and sophomore Tanner Vosvick were named to the preseason all-league squad
• Army is 8-0-0 all-time against Fairfield. The sides last met on Oct. 4, 1988, with the Black Knights earning a 2-0 victory.
• Fairfield posted an 8-5-3 record in 2013, while finishing with a 5-3-2 mark and tying for fourth in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC).
• Senior Jordan Ayris and sophomore Martin Lindgren are the top two returning scorers from a season ago, with both netting two goals.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Joe Martin started all 16 games for the Stags last year, posting a 1.29 goals against average and a .720 save percentage.
• Fairfield was selected fourth in the MAAC Preseason Poll, while Ayris earned a spot on the Preseason All-MAAC Team.
INSIDE THE ARMY-FAIRFIELD SERIES
First Meeting: 1981
All-Time Record: Army leads, 8-0-0
At West Point: Army, 5-0-0
At Fairfield: Army, 3-0-0
At Neutral Site: n/a
Last Army Win: Oct. 4, 1998 (2-0 at Army)
Last Fairfield Win: n/a
Series Streak: Army, 8 games
Army hits the road for the first time this season on Monday, Sept. 1, when the Black Knights make the trip to Philadelphia, Pa., for a contest against Saint Joseph’s. Game time is set for 4 p.m. at Sweeney Field.