April 18, 2014
Black-Gold Game Rosters
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Army football team finished its14th practice of the spring on Friday evening at Howze Field and Michie Stadium. The Black Knights will officially wrap up their spring season with Saturday's Black-Gold Game.
Friday featured a light workout with no pads, as the coaching staff ran the team through its last drills before hitting the practice field again in the fall. Most of Friday's action was limited to utilizing various formations and tightening up specific offensive sets.
Saturday's Black-Gold game will be contested at Michie Stadium and is expected to be played under game-like conditions. Gates at Michie Stadium open at 11 a.m. prior to the noon kickoff.
• The kickoff and punt units worked on Howze Field to begin the practice.
• Specials teams units also worked on field goals, extra points and two-point conversions.
• Wide receivers went through route running drills that featured a variety of different passing distances. • Running backs were thrown low passes near their ankles during backfield drills.
• Quarterback A.J. Schurr completed a 20-yard pass in traffic to receiver Edgar Poe, who made the grab just inside the left sideline during 11-on-11 drills.
• Daniel Grochowski and Cale Brewer worked on mid-range field goals from the middle of the field, as well as the left and right hash marks.
• The practice session lasted under two hours, as rotating offensive, defensive and special teams units for a variety of situations was stressed the most.
Defensive Back Geoffery Bacon
(Re.: what the team has improved upon during spring practice)
"We've gotten better at everything, but we still have a lot more to do. We've begun the process of coming together as a defense. We see a lot of potential in what we can do, but we have to get out there and do it, because potential doesn't mean anything unless you reach it. Just because spring ball is over doesn't mean we have to stop watching film and continuing to get better. We have to continue throughout the summer just so we can be ready on September 6."
(Re.: what you hope to accomplish in tomorrow's Black-Gold Game)
"We're going for a shutout on the Gold Team, speaking specifically for the defense. Personally, I want to help in that goal in any way possible."