Each year a great number of Plebes tryout for one of the many intercollegiate teams at West Point. Several of these walk-on athletes significantly contribute to the success of the athletic program. If you are even considering participation in intercollegiate athletics at USMA, you should know that you must be certified as academically eligible by the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse.You MUST:
1) Register with the Clearinghouse by getting a Student Release Form (and instruction booklet) from your high school, filling it out properly, and sending it in along with your $27.00 registration fee. (A carbon copy must be provided to your current and all previously attended high schools.)
2) Ensure that your official transcript is sent to the Clearinghouse from EVERY high school you attended, and that you final transcipt with PROOF OF GRADUATION is sent after graduation.
3) Ensure that your standardized test scores (SAT or ACT) are sent to the Clearinghouse directly from the testing agency, or are included on your official high school transcript.
To be certified as eligible by the Clearinghouse, you MUST:
1) Graduate from high school.
2) Earn a 2.0 GPA (on 4.0 scale) in at least 13 core academic courses (as reported by your high school and approved by the Clearinghouse) in grades 9 - 12. Distribution:
Social Science Core
From English, Math, or Science
Additional Core (from Eng, Math, Science, Social
Science, Foreign Language, Computer Science,
Philosophy, or Nondoctrinal Religion)
3) Earn a sum of scores of at least 68 on the ACT or a combined score of at least 820 on the recentered SAT on a national test date. For Division I and USMA, the minimum GPA in the 13 core courses and required ACT/SAT score vary according to an appropriate Index.